Big Win Philanthropy partners with driven and committed African leaders to deliver on their transformational visions for children and young people. We seek to improve lives directly and to build demographic dividends for equitable economic growth, peace and security.
Purpose: As one of Big Win Philanthropy’s Program Directors, you will work closely with government counterparts to design and support implementation of transformative programs. Program Directors are accountable to the CEO and responsible for ensuring quality execution of programs; strengthening the routine monitoring systems; leading evidence-based decision-making; and driving highly leveraged outcomes.
Program development, delivery and performance
- Lead the design of sharp program goals and clear milestones, from the overall program concept and vision to articulation of tangible and ambitious Big Wins, as well as the pathway to the goals.
- Design a critical path of key levers for programmatic success and successful transition to implementation that provides clarity for all stakeholders.
- Develop an overall landscape on multisectoral nutrition-smart investments that covers the evidence and range of initiatives government leaders in sub-Saharan Africa might choose to pursue, depending on their context.
- Ensure with in-country counterparts that there is a shared understanding of the win to be achieved and hone that understanding throughout each initiative.
- Work constructively with country counterparts to ensure good quality implementation of programs, closely monitoring their effective and efficient execution toward the agreed targets.
- Remain clear about how Big Win adds value – seek always to maintain the right balance of driving progress, performance and problem solving, while not enabling the in-country team to outsource core management responsibilities to Big Win.
- Communicate openly and regularly with the Executive Team to keep them abreast of progress and challenges of all programs being managed. Seek from the Executive Team advice, guidance and trouble-shooting input on complex, problematic or high-risk programs, to ensure the effective and timely resolution of issues if they arise.
- Work with Big Win’s Controller to provide the Executive Team with accurate and meaningful financial and management information to support effective and evidence-based decision-making and planning.
- Use sound financial acumen to manage budgets and resourcing for all managed programs to maximize program effectiveness and efficiency.
- Identify and manage any risks associated with a given program so that the interests and reputation of Big Win and the program champion are protected.
- Actively strategize throughout the effort how Big Win and our partners can pursue greater and ideally global impact that extends beyond the initiative.
Ideal candidate profile
- Experience with complex and large-scale program implementation, ideally in sub- Saharan African countries. Good understanding of how governmental departments work, ideally with direct experience working within government.
- Significant interactions at high policy levels within governments, with proven experience in managing complex and politically sensitive relationships with different stakeholders.
- Demonstration of methodical program oversight and management.
- Exemplary work ethic with a drive for concrete results in a complex environment.
- Experienced in the use of programmatic tools such as dashboard creation, program monitoring and strategic planning.
Knowledge, skills and abilities
- Substantial, relevant expertise in health and nutrition, ideally in sub-Saharan Africa. This will include familiarity with evidence, key actors and interventions in a broad range of areas. An optimal candidate will bring a reservoir of contacts and prototypes for government leaders wishing to pursue initiatives in this area. Candidates with a background in Youth Employment as above will also be considered.
- Good financial acumen and proven ability to manage budgets and resources tightly and prudently.
- Educated to post-graduate degree level, or equivalent by experience, within a relevant specialty.
- Fluency in French or Portuguese is desirable.
Personal qualities and attitudes
- Team player with excellent people skills and with highly developed communication, presentation, negotiation and influencing skills.
- Full alignment with the Big Win ethos of supporting the ambition of policy champions at national level without prescribing external agendas.
Based in London with travel in sub-Saharan Africa. Compensation based on experience.
Interested applicants should email a cover letter describing the applicant’s interest and relevant experience, together with a full current CV, to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include “Program Director” in the subject line.