Big Win Philanthropy partners with driven and committed African leaders to deliver on their transformational visions for children and young people. We seek to improve lives directly and to build demographic dividends for equitable economic growth, peace and security.
Purpose: To serve as Big Win Philanthropy’s Legal Officer in the UK. Reporting to the Chief Operating Officer and General Counsel, the Legal Officer will lead on the structuring and drafting of grant, employment and consulting agreements; on the review of third-party agreements; and on day-to-day legal matters in the London office. The Legal Officer will be responsible for UK compliance and policy matters (including with respect to the Charity Commission) and will work closely with the COO and the Head of Finance to advise the program team on complicated issues integral to the charity’s mission and charitable objectives.
- Draft, review and negotiate grant agreements to implement the charity’s programs and investments.
- Draft, review and negotiate agreements with employees, consultants and vendors.
- Lead on UK charitable compliance and reporting matters, including with respect to the Charity Commission and Companies House.
- Advise the Executive Team on policy matters including safeguarding; health and safety; privacy; corrupt practices and bribery; and other issues related to the charity’s mission and activities.
- Think critically regarding legal issues in connection with the charity’s approach of supporting governments directly.
- Provide day-to-day advice to the Executive Team and program team regarding legal issues as they arise.
- Provide support to grantees and government partners with respect to legal issues related to joint initiatives.
- Support the COO and Head of Finance with respect to the charity’s endowment and investment portfolio.
- Contribute to performance management dashboards and systems to help drive outcomes and identify course corrections.
- Identify and manage legal and other risks associated with programs and operations so that the interests and reputation of Big Win are protected.
- Actively strategize throughout how Big Win and our partners can pursue greater and ideally global impact and leverage that extends beyond the initiative.
Ideal candidate profile
- Lawyer admitted to practice in England and Wales with extensive experience in the charities sector.
- Substantial experience working in sub-Saharan Africa.
- Significant interactions at high policy levels with or within governments, with proven experience in managing complex and politically sensitive relationships with different stakeholders.
- Experience with complex and large-scale program implementation, ideally in sub-Saharan African countries.
- Demonstration of methodical legal analysis and contract management.
- Exemplary work ethic with a drive for concrete results in a complex environment.
- Team player with excellent people skills, with highly developed communication, presentation, negotiation and influencing skills.
- Substantive experience working in areas related to human capital development (education, nutrition, youth employment) a plus.
- Full alignment with the Big Win ethos of supporting the ambition of policy champions at national level without prescribing external agendas.
- Financial acumen and ability to manage legal issues related to financial transactions, both on the endowment/investment side and with respect to grants.
- Proficiency in additional African Union official languages preferred.
Based in London with travel in sub-Saharan Africa. Compensation based on experience.
Interested applicants should email a cover letter describing the applicant’s interest and relevant experience, together with a full current CV, to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include “Legal officer” in the subject line.